Flocks and Fleeces Raised and Grazed on the Meadows of Madeline Island.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012


Welcome to Fly Away Farm

            Fly Away Farm is a small sustainable farm located on Madeline Island in Lake Superior.
We raise some of the finest breeds of sheep for their beautiful and versatile fleeces.  It all started almost sixteen years ago now with the purchase of two fine Cheviot Sheep named Beatrice and Benedict.  Now we keep around 60 in our flock of a variety of Merino, Blue Faced Leicester Longwool, Cotswold and Romney sheep.  For us it is all about this incredible and most diverse fiber in the world, Wool.
Our farm was homesteaded on Madeline Island around 1895.  The only way to get here was by boat.  There were no roads this far out on the island.  The farm has a rich and adventurous history.  So many people I run into have worked here helping with the cows and pigs, been married in the barn, rented the house for a summer, or just spent time with the many families that have called Fly Away Farm home.  The original house and barn were of log construction, hewn from the trees they cleared for the first pastures and fields.  Our house remains somewhat altered by many the families additions.  The core of the red pine, white pine and hemlock log house still stands inside the expanded and restored dwelling. 
The newer barn built around 1930 is our lambing shed in the spring.  The sheep only need a roof over their heads during that time.  Otherwise they and their health prefer the open air and some tree cover for shade.  It is a traditional Wisconsin Red Barn and stands proudly looking over our view of Lake Superior. 
Our little farm is still a work in progress.  Each year we paint and trim and repair and try to take on one larger restoration project. 
I began weaving back in college when my mother in law had a loom that I was curious about.  I took a year long course at the University of Wisconsin in weaving.  I wove many blankets and shawls before the birth of my first child.  Then I put weaving away for many years until I moved to the island.  I saw the rich tradition held onto by island crafts persons and Woods Hall.  I was hooked again and now weaving and spinning and other fiber projects have become my winter job.

I hope you enjoy this story of how we make our products from start to finish.  It is always fun to decide just where the process really begins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment