Flocks and Fleeces Raised and Grazed on the Meadows of Madeline Island.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

So I always enjoy the first morning barn check as I said yesterday but if I had to choose a favorite overall time to check on the moms and babies, it would have to be the 2 AM check.  Call me crazy but if the night is crisp and clear and often quite cold, the stars are at their peak.  On the way to the barn I am usually in a bit of a hurry and anxious to check on what is happening.  The dogs often wake up and come along for the the brief walk.  Such great companions and they know that it is their job to make sure the farm is secure.  If I hadn't named Fly for the dog in Babe, I should have named her Tomtem.

Every pen or jug is checked to see that the lambs are sleeping quietly and softly breathing.  The ones that are up and usually crawling on mom to get her to stand up for a post midnight snack.  Sometimes a little play time is happening with a few next door to one another.  If I am worried about one, I pick it up to see if it stands and stretches, our health sign.

If no one is in the process of lambing, then we are done and we can walk back through the night air and pause to find our favorite constellations.  Living on an island has its advantages and disadvantages.  One of the big pluses is that we have virtually no light pollution.  If you don't turn any lights on there are none on for miles.  It is a gift that I hope won't change for a very long while.


No comments:

Post a Comment